Hi! Thanks for being willing to take this survey. It will help us understand the impact of this project on you and other participants. Please feel free to reach out at anytime with questions to
We will guard your privacy, remove all identifiable information from your responses, and not collect your actual name anywhere in the survey. All results will be reported in the aggregate, with no identifying information. Please use the slider below each question to indicate which direction you lean. And, remember that there are no right or wrong answers.
1. People who hold different views on controversial issues are generally just as good as people who hold similar views as me.
2. If I learn that someone holds different controversial views than I do, I become less interested in being friends with him/her.
3. Intelligent people may hold different views from me.
4. I respect people who disagree with my views.
5. I strongly prefer talking with people who share my views on controversial issues than people who do not share my views.
6. Generally, intelligent people hold similar views as mine.
7. I like finding out new information that differs what I already think is true.
8. I question my own opinions, positions, and viewpoints because they could be wrong.
9. People born in a different generation provide important perspectives on controversial topics.
10. I feel like I understand better why someone holds different beliefs on the controversial issue after communicating with them.
11. I am interested in talking about controversial issues with people who hold different beliefs from me.
12. After talking to people with different beliefs on controversial issues, I understand their perspective better.
13. Which topic did you discuss in your deliberation?
Hydraulic Fracturing (fracking)
Banning Assault Weapons
Banning Hate Speech
Punishing Violent Juvenile Offenders
14. Including the current deliberation, how many deliberations did you complete this year?
15. Who ran your deliberation?
16. What kind of deliberation did you participate in?
Community, as a student
Community, as a non-student
17. Please enter your first initial and your birthdate. For example, if your name is Jane and you were born on June 9, 2002, please enter j06092002.